16.3.06

Thursday Thirteen #6

Hey folks. Sorry I've been out of commission. I somehow seem to keep getting busier and busier, which is good on the one hand and creating mounds of stress on the other. So what do I do to get away from it all? You guessed it -- I put together a posting for my blog! Enjoy.

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Things I've accomplished in the past week



1. I premiered my short film, "Romey & Jules." Technically, it was just a cast/crew and family/friends screening. The official premiere will be 3/24 at the Phoenix Film Festival. There were probably 50-60 people in attendance, and it was well-received. It's hard for me to watch and enjoy, however, as I'm constantly noticing things that need to be fixed. The good thing is that we actually have an opportunity to make changes before the official premiere, now, so that's very beneficial. And truthfully, we may make some more changes after that before we start sending it out to festivals, etc.

2. I finally got to see the Behind the Scenes Making-of documentary that chronicled the making of our short. It was great to relive the moments from the movie and see everyone working again. It's a very different perspective than what I've been seeing for the past 2 months.

3. I reconnected with a long-lost best buddy of mine. He happened to be in town for a conference and I met up with him Sunday night for dinner. We ended up talking about podcasting and may come up with one of our own. He's such a great guy and it's a bummer that we've been so out of touch.

4. I celebrated my Little Brother's 18th birthday with him. This is not a real brother -- we're part of Big Brothers Big Sisters. He's been my Little for almost 6 years now. Zoinks! Where does the time go! Technically, our match ends either when he turns 18 or when he graduates. He graduated last semester but won't walk until this June, so we're officially ending it then. We'll still stay in touch, though. The good news -- he finally got a job. The frustrating news -- he's still impossible about calling me.

5. I found a new favorite TV show -- Battlestar Galactica. I watched the miniseries that started it all and was unduly impressed, and then I watched the 1st 2 episodes of Season 1. What a brilliant show. And I hear Season 2 is even better. I can't wait. (By the way -- sorry about not updating the info in my sidebar. One of these days, I'll do so.)

6. I recorded a commercial (I do some voiceover work) for a small Christian college in West Virginia. Too frequently, my VO gigs are in states other than mine so I never hear them on the radio. I assume they play because they pay me.

7. I got offered a gig to record an audio book, which I've never done before. We're still hashing out the arrangement, and I'm going in to my buddy's studio tomorrow to record a sample chapter so they can get a feel for how it would sound.

8. I found someone to design my short film's website and began compiling info for him, as well as for my Associate Producer who graciously has offered to do the content.

9. I got on a gig as Art Asst with TeeNick to do a promotional show for the upcoming movie "The Benchwarmers" and will get to work with the stars -- David Spade, Rob Schneider, and Jon Heder -- this Saturday.

10. I tried putting together the CD cover for my wife's & my annual birthday CD mix that we give to friends on their bdays, but the program is printing incorrectly and I can't figure out why, so I am stopping in frustration. This is a project I began in the fall of '05 so it'd be ready by the time '06 rolled around. If only there was more time in the day.

11. I found this incredible artist's website. http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

12. I stepped down as President of a local writing organization that I run. I will remain on the board, but feel that I need to free up more time to accomplish the things I really want to, to find paying work, to plan for the baby, and to actually write (something I have done little of since taking over the group).

13. I began breaking down, scheduling, and budgeting 2 feature film projects that I'm involved in. So you know, the first thing that happens when a script is going to be made is the script gets broken down -- someone goes through scene by scene, determines what characters are in each scene, what props, cars, special equipment, # of locations, etc. This person looks at each scene and figures out how many pages the scene runs so they can best schedule it. Generally, a feature shoots 3-6 pages a day. So a 120 page script (2 hours -- a movie generally speaking is 1 minute of finished film for every page of script) would take 20-40 days to shoot. Some productions can be done quicker, some take even longer. It depends on the type of shoot. The 2 features I'm breaking down/scheduling are too long for the # of days we have to shoot, in my humble opinion. Do the directors listen? No. They want their whole vision. What that means is that they'll hate me on the set when I come up and tell them, "You're done w/this scene -- move on to the next," because they're behind schedule. It takes the creativity out, but that's life. It's a business and money is on the line. Anyway, enough rambling.

What have you done this week?

The Movie Monkey

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Kimmy at Snickerdoodles
2. Kelly at
Diary of the Nello
3. Dale at Just Takes a Minute
4. My personal favorite Paisley
5. Kim at Nothing Heavy
6. Stacey at Broken Spirit



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



9 comments:

Kimmy said...

OMG! I'm exhausted just reading about your week. Gracious! I'm glad you've accomplished so much. You've done some major things!

I can't wait for things to slow down a bit so you can blog. I can't wait to hear about the premiere... it's only a few days away. How exciting!

I've seen three different Sonic commercials this week...

Email me (snickerdoodlegirl@gmail.com) and I'll send you the code for the autolink. It is a time saver... and you need all the help you can get :p

Here's wishing you KFC mashed potatoes and gravy and coleslaw!

Kelly said...

First time on your site for the TT and you sure do have a great list there!

Happy Thursday!
Mine are up.
Diary of the Nello

Paisley said...

On top of all this, you have been waking me up in your sleep talking about work. :)

Does that count as a conversation?

Kim said...

Wow...and I thought I had a busy week!

My husband loves Battlestar Galactica...he swears that it's the best show on tv and keeps trying to get me to watch it. I haven't...I'm sure it's good but it seems like a show that you need to watch from the beginning.

Andy said...

Kimmy -- thanks for the Arrested Development link. Unfortunately, it's already on its way out, though I heard a rumor that Showtime might pick it up. And the Sonic commercials I worked on are now circulating, so think of me! The jr. banana split one w/the little money makes me laugh. I was passing those guys banana splits for hours. Damn things kept melting.

Kelly -- thanks for dropping by! I stopped by yours as well.

Kodijack -- thanks for the kind words!

Paisley -- you're going to have to do a post about my nighttime conversations I've been having lately. ;)

Kim -- You should watch Battlestar Galactica. Paisley's totally hooked. It's a great show and so much more than a scifi (though the scifi side of it rocks!)

Stacey -- Being a Big Brother has been a great experience and now I have a lifelong friend. I seriously think I learned as much from him as he hopefully did from me.

Thanks for dropping by, guys!

The Movie Monkey

Micehelly said...

Wow - what a busy week, I am exhausted just reading about it. :)

My Thursday Thirteen are up

Anonymous said...

That's cool that you're a big bro. I hope your little bro is better about keeping in touch! LOL.

My 13 are up.

Jen said...

Wow, you've got a lot going on, in many areas of your life. Very interesting.

My list is up :-)

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW! Do you need some more projects? you can have some of mine.

I am exhausted just reading this.

I am so excited for your film, YEAH!

Go take a power nap!!