16.1.06

Sore and sick movie thoughts

Well, this weekend, my wife and I decided we really needed to get out and do yardwork (thanks for the tip, Kodijack). Our yard looks great finally -- we trimmed all of the trees and shrubs in both the front and backyard (except our Eucalyptus which is just too tall for us to really do much with) and then pulled out the yard vac and sucked up all the leaves and junk that's been collecting under the bushes probably since we moved in. It was a gorgeous day and perfect for yardwork. Unfortunately, I was already feeling a bit under the weather and now, after inhaling dust, pollen, and other airborne particles, I am having major congestion and feel like doodoo. Plus, my body is sore all over (it didn't help that we went back to the gym after a long time of avoidance the day before). So today, I'm taking the day off and will be going back to bed for the rest of the day. Sinus pressure is no fun, but at least it's more bearable in bed.

But before I do, it's been a while since I discussed any movies here, and being The Movie Monkey, I figured I should discuss some movies I saw this weekend.

First, Hostel. Now a lot of people probably want to avoid this movie considering its subject and genre (torture/murder and horror, respectively). I actually liked it, but I like those dark, evil horror movies. Eli Roth, the writer/director/co-producer, said he really wanted to go for a film in the style of recent Asian horror films which really don't hold back. And Eli didn't; this is a brutal film and not for everyone. Still, if you're into blood and guts and evil people, you should check this out.

Second, The Squid and the Whale. I loved it. My wife and friend hated it. My thinking is this: I come from divorced parents, they both come from parents who are still together. Considering the subject of divorce and kids dealing with it, I related (though never had problems quite like they did). I thought the movie had a lot of truths and was very funny. They both were expecting more comedy (it's billed as such) but didn't get it -- it's a subtle humor and one that perhaps kids from divorced families would appreciate more. Anyway, I liked it and felt it might even end up in my top 10 of 2005.

Third, The Matador. Absolutely loved it. I thought Pierce Brosnan was a great James Bond who was never given a great James Bond film to star in (my apologies to those of you who like his films). I also was afraid that after starring as James Bond that Brosnan would get stuck playing similar sorts of roles. Well, The Matador was the perfect film for him to break the stereotype. By far, this is his best performance, and it's a completely opposite James Bond type of assassin character. The chemistry between Brosnan and Greg Kinnear is perfect, and the character relationships are spot-on. Hope Davis brings a lot to the story as Kinnear's wife. Definitely check this one out, particularly if you're a James Bond fan or a Pierce Brosnan fan.

That's it for now. I want to go lay down. Enjoy the movies!

TMM

1 comment:

Paisley said...

Squid in your top 10?! Wow, I am truly amazed. It wasn't that I was expecting humor...I just...well....was expecting to like at least one of the characters...my brotha! You are right, though. Probably a "divorced parent" thing.

:)

Agree on Matador. Terrific. My perception of PB has forever been changed. I will now think of him wearing a black speedo, boots and nothing else while sauntering through the hotel lobby. Priceless. Perfect. Hilarious.