5.1.06

Still coming...

So I know I promised I'd get my Top 100 movies list out by 1/1/2006, but I've been swamped lately with this crazy little short film I'm working on. I have put together a list of about 150 movies that I'd consider for the top, so now I just need to whittle it down, put it in order, etc. My shoot is this weekend so after that, I'll be able to finish.
The short film is a very fun piece called "Romey and Jules" and it's a Romeo & Juliet tale told between a clown and a mime. It's tragic, funny, and has a happy ending for a change. When it's all said and done, I'll put a link up here for it so you can all watch it.
We had rehearsal last night -- our last one before the shoot. It went really well. It's only a cast of four, so it made it a bit easier. I haven't directed a narrative film in almost ten years, so I've been a little nervous. Still, after each rehearsal, I really feel like I'm in the right element and am thrilled. It's been a challenge because I've been working on other people's shoots for so long that I started doubting whether I still had the skills to helm a project of my own. But here I am doing it. I'm still nervous about our shoot tomorrow and Saturday, but once I'm there, I believe I'll get right back into it, just like riding a bike.

I have a great set of actors. They all fit their roles so well. My one fear has always been working with actors. I went to film school back in Colorado and the one thing they never really spent time on at CU-Boulder was working with actors. Needless to say, I always felt unprepared to work with them. So I've been reading a wonderful book, Directing Actors by Judith Weston, and it's really helping. It's giving me a lot of ideas. The biggest thing I've been learning is that any fear I have, I just have to jump in and confront it. It's the only way to improve. So I have been challenging myself with the actors, trying to come up with good direction, not result direction, and I'm getting there. I still have a ways to go but I feel we're all on the right track.

As I continue production on my short film, I'll try to keep posting blogs to keep track of what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, what I'm screwing up, etc.

Oh, one thing that did happen at rehearsal yesterday, I somehow managed to pinch a nerve in my lower back. It's not feeling too hot right now. Doh! Even after an epsom salt bath late last night. Ah well. Ice packs and heating pads here I come.

Hasta.

No comments: