31.1.06

Slowly climbing back into the saddle

Hello world.

Whew! What a crazy few weeks it's been. First, my computer went nutzo on me, then I spent WAY too much money trying to deal with the Geek Squad to get it fixed (I'll get to that insane issue). In the midst of all that, I started working on a 10-day gig for a series of Suzuki-Canada commercials, immediately followed up by a 2-day gig with the Oakland A's (and yes, I got an autographed ball to prove it). And in the midst of all THAT, my wife discovered that she's pregnant and we're going to have a baby soon! And now, sitting at home in front of my computer, I am completely wiped out. After all of that, I feel like I've just taken a beating for a week straight, then kicked while I'm down for another week straight.

The crazy thing is, the work wasn't really that hard. Yes, as a PA (still at the bottom rung), I end up doing a lot of physical labor, but it's not that. Part of it could be that when on a set, I do hang out by the craft service table too much (craft service is what they call the table where they put all the munchies, snacks, and drinks, as opposed to catering which is purely just our meals, which aren't exactly skimpy either). It's way too easy to overeat on a set. Must stamp the mantra on my forehead: STAY AWAY FROM CRAFTY'S TABLE! :)

But the reason I'm tired is just that I worked a lot of long days, drove a lot, humped a lot of gear, and didn't sleep much. And I'm stressing about a gajillion other things in life (not to mention the baby, though I have to admit that it doesn't really stress me out at all -- BIG change from a few years ago).

So I apologize, I've been too wiped out since I got my computer back to get on my blog and post anything. I have had a few moments here and there when on other computers to check some of yours out, but haven't replied much -- a lot of time constraints, plus silly issues like hotel computers that don't let pop-up windows appear, etc.

Anyway, I'm back, and so far, February looks like an open month for me so I'll be catching up on everything in my life -- emails, work calls, my short film, my blog, responding on yours, etc.

And before I go: Geek Squad nightmares.
For any of you who have computer problems, I hope I can influence you with your choice of repair houses by saying AVOID THE GEEK SQUAD AT ALL COSTS. Yes, their logos, cars, mottos, and marketing are cute. And yes, they do know quite a bit, but they aren't run well and just don't seem to care about actually fixing my computer. Or anyone's for that matter. Nor did they pay attention when I initially told them what was wrong. After calling back several times, they hadn't even looked at the problem for which I initially came in for. And then I had a mysterious problem of my power supply going bad while they were working on it -- which they said I had to pay for or they wouldn't give me back my computer (well they would but with a bad power supply). I can understand that my power supply might have been going bad, but how do I know some new employee didn't blow my power supply when working on my system? Anyway, my computer still has problems and I still have to deal with the supervisors over there to try getting some of my money back. What a frickin' nightmare.

Anyway, I have seen some movies lately and will have to get to them in upcoming posts. Today was a catch-up day but I ended up getting a voiceover gig this afternoon so that's cut my day up a bit.

Talk to y'alls soon!

The Movie Monkey (and soon to be father of a little monkey) ;)

2 comments:

Kimmy said...

Movie Monkey and Paisley sittin' in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Movie Monkey pushin' a baby carriage! Congrats on the future Baby Monkey!

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Mom got home from the hospital Monday. I've been staying with my parents, but am back home now.

Weird how a week off from e-mail and blogging can throw things off. You and I both have a lot of catching up to do in February.

So happy for you and Paisley!!!! :p

Gary the Llama said...

Hey Andy,

Congratulations on the baby. I'm at the point in my life where you were a few years ago... I would be way too stressed if I found out we were having a baby. (Though I do want kids, I would just like a few more years of marriage without 'em.)

I've been doing a ton of writing lately. I'm not too happy with my latest scene challenge script but what can ya do? I'm writing a bunch of other shorts, possibly revising some old ones, and constantly working on two feature scripts. Busy, busy, busy...

I've also been gearing up to direct my second short film and now it looks like I might be directing my third right after that.

I'm also taking Intro to Cinema at SCC which is a lot of fun. I'll be taking Screenwriting 1 next so I'm looking forward to that.

Glad things are going well for you. I'll see you at Monday's meeting!