12.1.06

Thursday Thirteen #2


Thirteen Things That I Can't Help But Marvel At


1. Sunrises and sunsets -- and Arizona has some of the best!
2. Icicles
3. Seahorses
4. The magical way I met my wife, Paisley
5. Spiderwebs & Spiders
6. The vast amount of space in our galaxy and universe, and the amazing planets, nebulas, etc. that share it with us
7. The Sistine Chapel
8. The things Walt Disney created and accomplished in his lifetime
9. Whales
10. That airplanes -- huge objects that weigh a lot -- can actually fly
11. Google Earth (I'm a geek, what can I say? I love maps)
12. There's a moment from my childhood. A friend and I were walking from his place to mine. To get there, we had to hike over a hill. When cresting the hill, he and I walked into a clearing in which two enormous deer stood. We all froze. I stared at these hulking objects, convinced they were statues because they were so absolutely still. My friend and I stepped forward toward the deer -- they did not move. We stepped closer and, with hands outstretched, reached for their fur. They sprung to life and darted away through the trees. I watched them disappear and smiled in awe, convinced it was a dream but knowing it was real. It's always stuck with me.
13. I marvel at our species' storytelling -- that we have stepped so far out of the realm of other animals into a world in which we create such magical things such as stories. The idea of passing on a tale that means something to somebody shows that we have an innate need to entertain and to instill feelings in others. And it's not just the storytellers, but the actors, the directors -- everyone!

That's it this week, folks. See you next time.

TMM

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Snickerdoodles



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



2 comments:

Kimmy said...

Loved it! How cool you and paisley are married. I loved her list...and commented on how adorable it is that her hubby puts his leg over hers when he can't hold her hand. Precious! (And the fact that her parents have been married for 43 years after hardly knowing each other.) I had no idea you were hubby. I feel like I just found out two friends are dating :p

Great list! Thanks for stopping by today.

Paisley said...

You're amazing. I love you.