27.2.06

Bumblebee Me

So if you read my wife's blog, Paisley Propaganda, you know that we got home from our brief weekend vacation late last night and I turned around, unpacked, and repacked for a trip to Tucson. I'm currently down here production coordinating a Diamondbacks shoot. It was a fairly busy day in which I worked my tookus off to get all of the paperwork done that I needed to and in which I helped the rest of the production team get through our 1 day of pre-production. It was a bit nutty but not too bad, except that I've had bad acid reflux for the past 2 days (something which I never have).

So aside from that, I'm busy working as a line producer on an indie feature that we're hoping to shoot this summer. I heard from the producers and they say Robert Wagner is now attached and a string of other actors, from Bruce Campbell to Jerry Lewis, are interested in the project as well. So we're in an exciting position because it means if we can get a few of them to sign on, it should help us find our financing to actually make the movie.

This is all great because life has been very frustrating the past few months as I've felt like all of the work I've been doing hasn't really been going anywhere. And now, it feels like things are on a slight upturn. Here's hoping.

But what this means is that I am constantly busy. I run a writing group locally and that takes up a lot of my time. It's a great group, but the sad truth is that since I've been running it, I have barely found time to write. Seems like it shouldn't work that way. I'm also busy with this line producing project as well as a few other writing projects for feature films I'm involved with in one way or another. So far, all of this work is pro bono, but work i'm doing to help my career move forward. I'm also busy working on my audio problems on my short film, the one that I directed back in early January. It's definitely coming together and we're still planning on premiering it next Thursday (which makes me nervous because there's still SOOOOO much to get done!). We still need to get the rest of the score dropped in, add some sound effects, and normalize/remix all of the audio. It's going to be a busy weekend this weekend, I'll tell you.

And on top of all of that, I'm busy working in the local commercial biz to keep food on the table, and I've recently stepped up from PA to Production Coordinator. It's a great step up but I definitely need to push hard to make it work so I can keep getting more of this work.

So with all of that, I feel like a busy little bumblebee trying to pollinate a field of flowers. Still, I'm doing what I love and I'm thrilled to be moving up the ladder finally.

Now before I go to bed, here are a few thoughts on some movies/TV shows I've seen recently.

Serenity -- I watched this again with a friend in Colorado (though I was tired and slept through most of it). This has to be one of the best films of '05. If you're a sci-fi person, or just love great, fun movies, check this one out. It's a great story, great characters, and very fun and exciting to watch.

The Shield -- In case you haven't been watching the BEST show on TV, start now. It's brilliant. Last week's episode had me near tears by the end -- one of the main characters (who we recently learned has lupus) breaks a huge case only to collapse from her illness (not to give it away, but it's damn powerful and shocking and moving and horrifying and so typical of how the show constantly finds a way to do something fresh and new and stay edgy. Check this show out. Rent all of the previous seasons and WATCH IT NOW.

Medium -- I don't watch this often but when I catch it, I really like it. Too bad they don't actually shoot in Phoenix so we could all get work on it.

Equilibrium -- If you ever had doubts that Christian Bale could be Batman, watch this. He frickin' kicks ass in this! It's awesome. Great movie though little seen. It's a bit Matrix, a bit Fahrenheit 451, and very cool. Watch this one.

Family Guy -- I watched my first episode of this show and found it very funny. Perhaps I'll watch it more. Perhaps.

Saw II -- Not as original as the first one, but still very inventive. I think the only reason this survives w/o being a shitty sequel is that it was a completely original script unrelated to the movie Saw, and then the producers found it and thought it might work well as the sequel, so the writer/director was hired, along with Leigh Whannell of Saw fame (actor/co-writer), to rewrite the script and put it in the Saw universe. And so there it was. And it definitely kept me going. The ending was obvious, but it was fun.

Match Point -- Wow. Never would've guessed that this was Woody Allen. Very cold film. Very unlikeable protagonist which makes for a very challenging film to watch. Still, I enjoyed it and what it said. And I couldn't help but falling in love with the main character's wife because she's so cute and innocent. Damn him for doing what he did to her! Anyway, if you like Woody Allen comedies, skip this. It's a dark thriller drama, and it's not easy watching.

Invasion -- this show strangely fascinates me, while at the same time driving me crazy. I think it's a great concept and I enjoy it, but I find the characters -- well, most of them -- to be annoying and not necessarily believable all the time. Still, an alien plot to invade excites me.

Lost -- Such a strange show. Yet I love it. Yet I wish more happened.

Anyway, I'm getting tired -- only 3 hours of sleep last night. So i'm off to slumberland before I have to wakey-wakey for the intense day tomorrow (we're shooting 3 spots in a day, which is very challenging). So hasta la pasta, all.

Keep smiling, and keep watching movies!

The Movie Monkey

2 comments:

Paisley said...

I watched The Shield episode with Claudette last night. You are right - it was great. :)

Good luck today.

I can't believe the premiere is next Thursday. I guess I'll see you next Friday, then. ;)

Kimmy said...

Congrats on the step up the ladder. And for the indie film That's awesome!

I watch Medium weekly. The acting isn't that great sometimes, but I really enjoy the show.

Equilibrium... great movie! I love Christian Bale. He's just a hottie.

Saw... I'm too chicken

Match Point... want to see badly.

Lost... love it. But on with it already, right?

So I watched House of D... it had some acting issues as well and didn't understand why Robin Williams had such huge teeth... he looked like a monkey. But, I loved it. I bawled and bawled and laughed and laughed, which in my book is a great movie :p