13.2.06

Movie Question of the Day #5

I've been swamped trying to reorganize my life. It feels like it's falling into the Pit of Despair. So I have a bit of work ahead of me, and piles and piles of paperwork to go through.

With THAT in mind, I'm going to get right into the movie question since, as much as I'd like to write more on my blog this evening, I really can't.

What is your preferred venue for watching a movie?

My response: I ALWAYS prefer watching a movie in the theatre over our TV at home or even a fancy home entertainment center. That being said, I am getting more and more frustrated with my movie theatre experience. I can't stand it when people talk in movies, and over the past few years, it seems my wife and I are attracted to people who just won't shut up. There are some crazy stories there, let me tell you. I also have noticed that I've had to leave the theatre more lately to complain about something in the theatre that the projectionist should be fixing. (The fact that I was a projectionist in college didn't help -- I'm a bit more nitpicky now as I know how things should be.) Despite all of that, I'd still take the movie theatres.

What about you?

The Movie Monkey

4 comments:

Paisley said...

TMM - ditto, baby. Although I agree with Kodijack on the cost especially when there has mainly just been crap out there the last two years.

Kimmy said...

I prefer the big screen. There's nothing like it. All of it...bigger than life actors and scenes, the sound, the smell of popcorn, hearing others laugh when I do. It's the best. (Could also be my first job was at a movie theatre...)
BUT...now it's too loud. I have to wear earplugs and it's still too loud. Why is that? When did they start playing movies so loud?
AND...I haven't seen too many movies lately worth going to the theatre for.

I love watching DVDs at home...with Jacob beside me, in our pj's and the ability to pause and rewind. (but there's nothin' like watchin' a movie on the big screen!)

Kimmy said...

Oh! Happy Valentine's Day!

Gary the Llama said...

I'll take the big screen any day even though the experience is usually less than stellar due to theater issues or retards around me.

My biggest complaint with theaters is that the sound sucks or isn't loud enough. I'm a sucker for eardrum shattering sound, especially if it's a big budget movie.

I can name two perfect movie-going experiences:

Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds

Both were ridiculously loud. As in, I've never heard sound with my ribcage before but I'm starting to like this feeling.

I guess it also doesn't help that I'm deaf. But whatever.

And for every 100 times the audience is annoying in a theater, there's one magical time when they're awesome. Hilarious even!

Example? The Excorcism of Emily Rose. At the very beginning the sound went out. Everyone groaned. And then I think there was a scene with some bees on screen. My wife decided to do the sound effects for the bees. It was hilarious and everyone thought so. Next scene... The audience did the sound effects.

Shortly thereafter the sound came back on and everyone shut up.

It could've been tremendously annoying but ended up being hilarious and everyone was respectful when the sound came back.